Nose blocked on one side, breathing difficulty, orange phlegm. Is this sinus infection? How to ease breathing?

ENT Specialist
Hi doctor my nose one side stuck and I kind of feel like i can't grasp a whole breathe it felt like it was stuck half way on the chest , nag ot dark yellowish orange phlegm in the morning
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: Nose blocked on one side, breathing difficulty, orange phlegm. Is this sinus infection? How to ease breathing? 3 minutes later
Is this sinus infection? Or phemonia I am a bit worried , hope to get your answer how to ease the breathing because it was midnight I can't sleep worrying about my condition
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

Thanks for the query

Please do not worry, the features you have described seems to be of acute sinusitis. Acute Sinusitis is a condition characterized by nasal block, nasal discharge, and headache, with or without fever.

Particularly, when an individual with sinusitis goes to bed, the secretions from the sinuses tend to get pooled up in the nasal passage and also in the post nasal space. As the secretions trickle down the throat they become much more thick. This thickening of the secretions is because of the draining away of water in the throat following mouth breathing, secondary to the nasal block.

As the secretions are dark yellowish in color, it indicates active infection. Hence you need to start on antibiotics (such as a combination of Augmentin and Clavulanic Acid), mucolytic (Ambroxyl/Bromhexine), saline nasal spray and steam inhalation 3-4 times every day. Your primary doctor can help prescribing these medications to you. Drink plenty of warm water; avoid coffee and cold food for few days.

Hope I have answered your query: I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Nose blocked on one side, breathing difficulty, orange phlegm. Is this sinus infection? How to ease breathing? 3 hours later
My doctor say i am suffering from a heartburn ... he provide me a nexium medication that all .. But the phlegm is still there ... is there anyway i can treat the phlegm ?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later
Hi again,

Thank you for writing back.

If you are experiencing the reflux of gastric contents into the throat, it can give rise to throat and chest discomfort, excessive salivation and phlegm in the throat. But according to the description given by you, it seems to be more like an sinusitis than the gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Do steam inhalation and drink plenty of warm water to reduce the phlegm in the throat. Secondly, the mucolytic such as Ambroxyl or Bromhexine can also reduce the phlegm in the throat.

You can also try to do salt water gargling three to four times a day.

Wish you good health