Nose bleeds every morning. Have a cold. Related? Treatable?

ENT Specialist
hi for the last week i have had nose bleeding each morning----i hav a cold now but have not gotten nose bleeds w/ a cold in the past---i am 67
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The unusual bleeding you have noticed from the nose since the past one week could be due various reasons such as rupture of the weak point in the blood vessels (aneurysms) supplying the nose, dryness of the nose, common cold associated with infection and finally because of the drug chlorthalidone itself.

The commonest cause of unexplained nasal bleed in the individuals past 50years of age is aneurysms in the blood vessels of the nose. The aneurysms are the weak dilated points in the blood vessels which has the potential to rupture with slight increase in the blood pressure or dryness of the nose.

The second most common cause is the cold itself with infection of the sinuses leading to dryness of the nose and nasal bleeding.

It is very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause without a complete examination. I would suggest you to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination of the nose and appropriate management. Till then you can follow the home remedies such as drinking plenty of water to keep the tissues hydrated, use saline nasal spray 2-3 times a day to reduce the dryness and to decongest the nasal mucosa.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon