Nose bleed for a 9 year old with numbness and tingling in left arm. Should be concerned ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter is 9 years old. She had a nose bleed today at school and complained that since her nose bleed, her left arm got numb and tingling.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later
Hi there.

I have read and understood your query.

Does your daughter have chest pain, frequent headaches, dizziness, pain in the legs while walking.

Any problem with passing urine, abdominal pain or heaviness of abdomen, weight loss.

Any problem during her childbirth and infancy. Any problem in her attaining correct weight and height for her age.

Any history of childhood heart disease in her family.

Has her blood pressure been recorded recently over all the limbs of the body.

There could be many causes for the above mentioned condition. A nose bleed may commonly be caused by retained foreign body inside the nose.

But since your daughter also complains of numbness of her left arm it is possible that there could be a possible lesion at the start of the main arteries of the hands called Coarctation of the Aorta. This lesion can cause less blood to flow to the lower half of the body and preferentially more blood flow into the head and upper half of the body causing leg pains, headache, nose bleeds, delay in growth of the body. In some instances one of the upper limbs may also get affected with typical complaints as you have mentioned.

The other possible cause could be possible bony lesion in the neck like Cervical rib which may press on the arteries of the hand and cause above mentioned complaints.

In order to confirm the exact cause of these problems, it would be best to get her examined by the Child Specialist or the Pediatrician. Her blood pressure over the four limbs of the body needs to be checked. A thorough nasal examination by the Doctor may be attempted to locate a cause of nose bleed as well.

Investigations like regular blood work, a chest x-ray maybe requested by her Doctor to find causes as mentioned above. Further investigations may be requested depending on the results of the clinical diagnosis and preliminary tests as requested by her Doctor.

Do not delay on this matter. Kindly get her examined by her Pediatrician as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.