Nose bleed, dizziness, tunnel vision. What is wrong?

ENT Specialist
i finished work last night and i went to walk to my car and as sat in my car my nose blocked up and then i wiped my nose with my hand and there was blood everything and then my nose just started bleeding constantly for half an hour and it was the first time i have ever had a blood nose if thats what it is, after the blood nose i was still in my car because i didnt want to drive while bleeding and i got up to get rid of the tissues in the bin just down from me and i went dizzy reallly badly and quickly and had the worst tunnel vision i actually thought i was about to pass out, and it lasted for hours, i had to call my dad to come and pick me up because i couldnt drive home, then about 3 hours after getting home last night i was still feeling dizzy and had tunnel vision i was sitting down watching tv and then my nose blocked up again and start bleeding badly again and was doing that for half an hour. and since then my nose as been block and i try blowing it but nothing works and every time i do blood comes out when i can actually get somthing out of it, even now i still feel dizzy and have tunnel vision.. is there something wrong? is this normal?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 48 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

Nasal bleed (epistaxis) can happen due to various reasons such as dry weather, nose picking, deviated nasal septum, trauma, etc.

In your situation, I presume it could be either due to dry weather or nose cleaning. The dizziness you are experiencing is secondary to loss of blood from the body causing hypotension (reduced blood pressure). There will also be nose block for few days due to presence of clots and nasal congestion. Do not worry! You will be alright if appropriate measures are taken.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Do not try to blow the nose or try to remove the clots.
2. Use saline nasal spray to keep the nose moist and decongest the nasal mucosa.
3. Consume plenty of fluids.
4. Keep your head end elevated.
5. Place an ice pack over the nose. This will reduce the bleeding to a certain extent.
6. If you notice the bleeding again please get into the emergency room for a nasal endoscopic evaluation and further management.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Nose bleed, dizziness, tunnel vision. What is wrong? 5 minutes later
Awesome, Thankyou for your help i had 2 days off work so i am going to do nothign but rest and i will put icepacks on my nose and elevate my head. thanks again Dr.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later

Welcome back

I wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon