Norvasc, dizzy, sleepy. Suggestion?

I take 2.5 mg of Norvasc at night, and my doctor wants to increase it 5 mg. When I tried taking the whole pill I got very dizzy and sleepy. I want to take half in the morning and half at night since I never had difficulty taking the 2.5mg at one time
Please help me!! I never can seem to lose any weight. I stay consistent at my current weight. I don't exercise as regularly as I should. But I eat moderately. I really want to achieve this goal
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later

Norvasc at the dose of 5mg daily should not cause the dizziness and sleepiness that you are experiencing.

It is best to take the antihypertensive at the same time and full dose at one time, as the peak effect is produced better after taking the full dose. Try taking the full dose of 5mg for a few days and see if your body tolerates it.

It is really nice that you want to lose some weight. But before I suggest you anything I need to know a few things about you-
1. What kind of a diet do you prefer- Veg or non-veg.
2. What kind of daily schedule do you follow?- time spent sitting, sleeping, in mild daily activities and in heavy work.
3. How much time are you spending in exercise per week?
4. In how much time to you want to reduce and how many kilos?

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries.