Normal to have pain above left elbow when burping?

Is it normal when one burps for the left arm to hurt just above the elbow. (Nearer the body) My last question was not answered from 16 hours ago. And last night I woke up very flushed and my left hand goes numb at night Follow up to a question that was asked several hours ago..please answer. Also woke up last night very hot and flushed and left hand goes to sleep at night. To summarize. Left arm pain behind elbow maybe from granddaughter falling asleep on arm almost 2 hours and when I burp this same area of left arm hurts, left shoulder and neck pain, woke up last night very flushed, and left hand goes to sleep at night. Please answer. I as m worried
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Sincere apologies and query addressed in detail Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. My sincere apologies for the delay. Normally a question is processed and is shown to us as soon as the transaction takes place, but I am guessing there was some technical reason for your question not showing up earlier. My sincere apologies once again ma'am. Now coming to your query; pain in the left arm, chest, and a few other symptoms that mimic a cardiovascular problem can sometimes be purely due to gastrointestinal conditions due to the close proximity and also common blood vessels innervating the region. But taking your age into consideration, it is part of protocol to rule out a cardiovascular problem with the help of an EKG (ECG), consider it to just be a routine check up ma'am. It is always better to be safe than sorry, don't you think. Once a cardiovascular problem is ruled out, I would request an elaborate evaluation for all possible gastrointestinal conditions like peptic ulcer disease, gastritis, etc. The use of antacids and medications that help neutralize the stomach acid will provide you with much relief. As for the numbness in the arm, although you have mentioned your grand-daughter to have slept on your arm, I would still recommend a blood investigation to check on your serum vitamin B12 levels; but only once a cardiovascular cause has been ruled out of course. Vitamin B12 is responsible for maintenance of blood vessels and promotes their health. There are various gastrointestinal conditions that can result in vitamin B12 deficiency as well. Which is why I am suggesting a check on both gastrointestinal conditions and vitamin B12 at the same time. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative ma'am. I also hope I have explained all the above information in a manner best understood by you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Normal to have pain above left elbow when burping? 15 minutes later
Thanks so much. So you think the flushed hot feeling and left hand numbness could be related to a digestive problem
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes ma'am, a GIT condition would be more likely Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. Yes I do. But I would still prefer ruling out a cardiovascular problem which is part of protocol every time an individual experiences pain in their chest, left side of chest, left shoulder, left arm, etc. But yes, a gastrointestinal condition would be more likely ma'am. I hope this information helps. God bless.