Normal to have brown spotting instead of periods when not having sex?

Hi I am a 35 year old woman. I haven't had sex in 6 months. I would say my periods over the last couple months have been different I just want to know if this is normal for someone my age. I have been having light brown spotting when my period is suppose to start usually for like 3-4 days then it seems like my real period starts for like 3 more days then more brown spotting at the end. My period never was like this. A couple cycles ago I was spotting brown blood a week before my actual period started. I am not in pain or anything. I am not on any birth control.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Different but do not suhggesive of a disease. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this change in the duration and flow of your menses. It is clearly not normal as it is different from the previous cycles but, in no way suggests a typical disease. Many women in their reproductive years do experience changes in their menstrual characteristics like these that do not represent any disease and generally go away without any aggressive medical intervention. This is no emergency. You do not need to see a doctor overnight for this. I will suggest that you plan and go in just for a routine examination to make sure there is nothing more that we should be addressing at this time, which to me is very unlikely because you have no other symptoms. If any abnormality or a possible cause is found, then it should be treated accordingly. If nothing is identified, which is more likely, you should be left alone and monitored over the next several cycles. In all, though not exactly normal, it in no way constitutes a disease and does not need immediate medical attention. Plan and go in for a routine evaluation with your OBGYN. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.