Normal to get early periods after stopping birth control? Earlier taken Depo

Question
Is it normal to get early periods after stopping birthcontrol? I was on depo for a year.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
After stopping the birth control, it can take 3-4 cycles for your periods to become regular like you had earlier prior to starting the birth control.
The early periods that you have got now are not worrisome. You are likely to get your periods on time next time. Right now no treatment is needed.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Normal to get early periods after stopping birth control? Earlier taken Depo 5 minutes later
I was also wondering if I might be going through perimenopause. Is 37 too young to start that stage? I did read you start having changes in your period in your late 30's. My mom felt that I was perimenopausal.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. The early periods you had could be due to perimenopause. You need to wait for next one or two months and see the trends.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Yes both responses were very helpful. Definitely worth the money. I have an app to record my cycles so I'll definitely share all the info with my doctor when I go for my follow up colposcopy.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
This is the best thing for you. Giving the complete history will help your doctor in proper diagnosis.