Normal liver function test,fatty liver,inflammation

Oncologist
Question
I have recently increased my dose of zoloft from 50mg per dAY TO 150MG PER DAY (OVER 3 WEEK PERIOD). I HAD LIVER FUNCTION TESTS WHICH WERE ALL NORMAL EXCEPT ALT 50 (RANGE 5 - 40) AND GGT 53 (RANGE 5 - 50). MY ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION IS ABOUT 12 - 16 PER WEEK AND I DID HAVE A MCDONALDS MEAL ABOUT FOUR HOURS BEFORE THE TEST. IS THIS RESULT ANYTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT? COULD THE INCREASE IN ZOLOFT OR THE FATTY MEAL BEFORE THE TEST AFFECTED THE RESULT.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and recommendations regarding the results as well as your general health. From the information you submitted you have a very mild elevation of the GGT as well as ALT.

As far as I am concerned with reviewing these results I am not concerned that anything worrisome is going on. I would say the most likely cause of the elevated GGT would be alcohol intake. While your alcohol intake is moderate it can still somewhat affect the liver enzymes. It also depends on the time what you had your last drink compared to when the test was done. I don't think these results reflect any kind of fatty liver or alcohol-related liver disease or any kind of limitation of overall liver function. It is also slightly possible that the increase in Zoloft may have caused the slight elevation of the AST.

What is important in your case is to follow the trend over time of your liver enzymes. If there is a trend in a direction which continues to increase overtime then a investigation can be done regarding that. If this somehow does happen your doctor will do an ultrasound scan or perhaps a referral to a gastroenterologist. Right now it is very premature to even worry about this.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found some reassurance in the information and answer that I have provided. If you have any additional concerns or questions regarding these test results or your general health. I would be happy to address them here.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga.

Follow-up: Normal liver function test,fatty liver,inflammation 14 hours later
Thank you for your reply. It was much appreciated.

I just wanted to clarify one final thing in relation to your comment re: the impact of alcohol intake and the time of my last drink on the liver enzymes.

Well, I had the test on a Monday at 5pm. Over the previous three days I had approx 9 standard drinks (comprised of 5 drinks on Friday night, 3 on Saturday night and 1.5 on Sunday night).

Are these GGT & ALT liver enzyme tests so sensitive that this level of drinking over the previous 3 days is likely to produce a higher result.

Many Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later

Thanks for the followup.

I don't think it was necessarily the drinking over the previous 3 days but rather the alcohol intake over the previous long term. This is what really impacts the liver function. For this reason, I think a period where you scale back to no more than 1 drink per day would be reasonable with an appropriate interval laboratory check.

Again, I am not concerned that you have any kind of liver failure going on - this is a very mild elevation of the enzymes which may return to normal with some lifestyle modifications and possibly a change in your medications.

Again I thank you for the query and hope this experience has been a good one for you as you continue your journey of optimal health.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga.