Normal blood work and urine,high bilirubin.Pancreatic cancer?

I had some routine bloodwork and urine sample done for a physical. They called and said everything came back NORMAL but my bilirubin level was a little high 3.4. They want me to come back at my convenience for some other liver tests just to rule out things.

I have been freaking out about pancreatic cancer or something. Should I go to the ER?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

First, you need not worry.

There are many reasons for the bilirubin to be high. Pancreatic cancer is one and it is the rarest possibility to think at this age.

Yes,3.4 is high for the bilirubin levels and is indicated with yellowish discoloration of eye, tongue and skin. Do you have them?

If not, again I reassure you not to worry. Just repeat the Bilirubin test as suggested by the lab.

If yes, this may occur for many reasons and has to be co related with other tests and clinical examination. You will need lever function tests,ultrasound of the abdomen and tests to rule out hepatitis first.

Pancreatic cancer is not directly related to this. There isnt any reason to go to the ER right now.

Get the tests done and see your regular doctor.

Hope I answered this query and I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Normal blood work and urine,high bilirubin.Pancreatic cancer? 5 hours later
Thank you for your response. I do not notice any yellowing in my skin, eyes, or tongue. Like I said, the other tests were normal. If this was something serious, would my blood test have come back with more values that pose threats?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
Well,if you're not symptomatic then thats a good sign.

If it is something serious, yes other values have showed it up. Asymptomatic rise and isolated rise in Bilirubin levels have no great significance.

I suggest that you repeat the bilirubin and liver function test again. Lab error is also a possibility. Yes,other test values may have been abnormal in case of liver disease/gall bladder disease. Thats why the co relation is important. I suggest that you dont jump the gun yet. Let the repeat test results come in and then you will get a better idea.

Follow-up: Normal blood work and urine,high bilirubin.Pancreatic cancer? 3 hours later
I had a urine test too. This came back normal with no Bilirubin in the urine. When researched, I take this as a good sign that there are no blocked bile ducts (tumors or gallstones). Would this be accurate if the bilirubin is only elevated in the blood (unconjugated)?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Well, unconjugated bilirubin is elevated due to hemolysis or liver disease. You will need to have some more tests to rule out these causes. So it would be better to wait for the rest of the tests to come in.

Since you are asymptomatic for jaundice, thats a good sign. But it would be better to wait for all the results and analyse the cause.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.