Normal T3T4TSH,discontinued elthroxin

i have been tested normal for T3T4TSH and i have discontinued elthroxin 6 months back There are no problems with my healthIs it fine i have been tested normal 3 times for T3T4TSH and have discontinued elthroxin for last 6 months There is no medical problems with me Please advise if this is fine.I am a female aged 24 and was under elthroxin treatment from 2002
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

This is a little surprising as you've been taking the thyroid pills since 2002. It's good that you've not been having any symptoms since stopping the drug for the past 6 months.

However, you'll need a continuous monitoring of the TSH. You should do TSH every 2 months. In case, there's an increase in the TSH levels or you develop any of the symptoms suggestive of hypothyroidism like weight gain, lethargy, constipation, slowing of heart rate etc, you should consult your physician.

Another test which should be helpful is anti-TPO antibodies. These are the antibodies which are circulating in the blood and are actually responsible for the damage to the thyroid gland resulting in hypothyroidism.

If the anti-TPO antibody levels are high, then you'll likely need to start eltroxin again.

Please consult an endocrinologist for the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.