Normal PMS symptoms bloating, moody, increased appetite, no weight change, cramps, spotting. Can I be pregnant ?

Question
I am a 25 year old healthy female. In the month of Feb. I was somewhere between 5-8 days late for my period. I also had all and I do mean all the signs of pregnancy. Nausea, appetite, headaches, even breaking out in hives, weight gain (jumped fr/ 138-145) with no change in diet, mood swings, sore nipples, extreme bloating, back pain, shoulder pain, smells irritating me (I no longer could stand the smell of my perfume or urine . If there was a syptom I had it. I took a pregnancy test every day I was late and it came back negative. Then I got my period it lasted 7 days (usually last 5 @ most) was very heavy with a lot of clotting. So much so if it didnt stop when it did I would of went to the doctor b/c I thought i was having a miscarriage but the test was negative. After that all my symptons started to subside. The smell, hunger, mood, everything went back to normal except that I was still breaking out in hives (started taking benadryl then allegra for that). I did not take a test after that. Then this month I started my period but it was very light and only lasted 3 days. Red in the beginning then pink and brown towards the end in color. Before this Ithought i was experiencing normal PMS syptoms bloating, moody, slight increase in appetite no change in weight but couldnt lose the weight either (I had been dieting and strictly watching what i ate, no diet sodas, lean meats fish and chicken nothing fried and working out around 10hrs a week for 1 1/2 weeks with no change only around 2lbs. Did have a few slip ups cake cookies etc.). Three days passed and then I started spotting very lightly pinkish brownish. This would of been the 7th day of my period. two days prior i was in a minor car accident but didnt go to the hospital I was fine afterwards and not even sore the next day. For some reason something told me to take a pregnancy test. When I took it it was positive. Then I took 4 more all the same. That was just yesterday. I am still slightly spotting. Mild cramps but the spotting is getting lighter. Could I be pregnant? Could last month have been a miscarriage and the positive testing is from the left over hormones? I definitely dont feel pregnant like I did last month. I'm scheduling a doctors visit but I'm worried and trying to figure out what to expect. Thanks for your help.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Last month, since all your pregnancy tests were negative, the heavy bleeding you had last month is not likely to be due to a miscarriage.
This month you are having positive pregnancy tests which do indicate that you are pregnant. These positive tests are not likely to be due to raised hormone levels due to a previous miscarriage.
The signs and symptoms that you had are all suggestive of pregnancy but they are all non confirmative.
Since you are having a slight spotting now, an ultrasound scan of lower abdomen will help in detecting the exact status of pregnancy.
You need to consult your gynecologist for an examination and investigations.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.