Normal BP, palpitations, heart stops beating while at rest, anxiety. Treatment ?

I am 37 5'7" and 190ibs. I work out pretty regular. I dont smoke or have ever done drugs. Since my dad had heart attack 10 years ago I have developed feelings in chest and other things. I have had 4 stress test, one ECHO, two nuclear injections, chest xrays and 4 physicals in that time. Lately I have noticed after a pretty stressful few months my heart rate in the 60's regularly. Blood pressure appears normal. I have palpations in the last ten years but noticed more lately that I feel especially when resting or in middle of night my heart stop and then start up again. I do have physical scheduled in a month. What could this be? I have had anxiety and have many physcial tests.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Radhika 15 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I have gone through your query and you need not get tensed .

If your rate is slower than 60 beats per minute or at 60's you need not worry because this will be normal in people who are active and athletic .

Palpitations are frequently seen in people who have stress, anxiety, or excessive consumption of stimulants such as caffeine or nicotine (via cigarette smoking). When palpitations do suggest cardiovascular abnormalities, like arrhythmia, they tend to occur along with other symptoms such as weakness and syncope (fainting), which is definitely not seen in your case.

Awareness of the heartbeat is common during or immediately following strenuous exercise, when the heart feels as if it were pounding, and right before falling asleep at night.Sometime you might also feel you have skipped a beat but it is actually due to the palpitations.

Palpitations require a doctor’s evaluation when they occur

with syncope or lightheadedness
with chest discomfort
with shortness of breath (DYSPNEA)

If you your stress tests,ECHO,,chest x rays and physical were said to be normal you certainly need not get worried.

Hope you are satisfied with my answer,I will be available for followup if you have further concerns.
Follow-up: Normal BP, palpitations, heart stops beating while at rest, anxiety. Treatment ? 9 hours later
Thanks this helpful. So people can have abnormal EKG (Resting) but be fine? This is "normal"? I have had this before but pass the stress test and any nuclear injections or chest xrays in the past. I exercise a few days a week but I am still overweight. So I dont considered myself an athlete or in "great" shape. Therefore was a little concerned about my heart rate being in the 60's at work or sitting around house. It does move up with some activity however.
Follow-up: Normal BP, palpitations, heart stops beating while at rest, anxiety. Treatment ? 1 hour later
lately i feel slow and a little weaker with some slight dizziness in morning but after i take a walk and take stairs up 3 floors and then eat, i feel "normal" throw most of the rest of the day? My pulse is 60-66 but after my 11am 15 min walk then lunch i feel good an pulse will stay for hours around 70 or so? Then i get home and workout for 40 min on treadmill.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 12 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The normal heart rate for adult men and women both is between 60-100 beats per minute. However, this rate can vary during exercise, excitement, rest etc...

EKG is the first test done when people complain of irregular heart beats or chest pain. When that shows abnormality the doctor will do higher tests like ECHO, Chest X XXXXXXX stress test to evaluate the cause.

Since the report has come normal it is presumed your heart is functioning at a normal pace.
But since you have told me that your dad has suffered a heart attack it is better you get a complete lipid profile and a complete blood examination to rule out cholesterol.

Other than that the life style you have maintained, regular exercises are good and you should keep up in the same way.

Hope my answer is adequate.

Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Normal BP, palpitations, heart stops beating while at rest, anxiety. Treatment ? 2 days later
can thyroid or anxiety create slower heart rate and other symptoms?
I jog up 4 flights of stairs. Heart rate gets to 100. Within minutes its near 60's again. Could this be from something other than healthy heart?
Answered by Dr. Radhika 8 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Anxiety and Hyperthyroidism can increase the heart rate whereas hypothyroidsm can decrease the heart rate.But this will be constant and does not alter suddenly.

When you jog up a flight of stairs it will indeed go upto 100, even if you walk briskly it will increase.This is normal.Again when you rest for a few minutes it will decrease .

You can get your lipid and thyroid profile done. Consider getting your annual physical done as soon as possible if it is still due this year.