Non smoker with elevated blood pressure. CEA test done. Are the findings normal?

General Surgeon
Hi, I have a CEA test result of 5.8 (4 years ago it was 4.8). I am male 47 and non smoker with Blood Pressure of 120/83. Is th e5.8 level a cause for concern and what next steps woud you suggest I take. regards.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

CEA is not a good marker for colon cancer screening. It can be elevated due to many other digestive tract diseases. Moreover it can remain low even if the colon cancer is present.
Your CEA level is not much elevated so it does not say anything at all.
Here is what you should do:
- if you have any symptoms like constipation, diarrhea, blood in stool, abdominal pains, weight lost, bloating, nausea, colonoscopy should be done (every person at the age of 50 should have it done)
- if you do not have any symptoms at all, you may have FOBT(fecal occult blood test) performed and if positive than colonoscopy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Non smoker with elevated blood pressure. CEA test done. Are the findings normal? 8 minutes later
thank you for the answer. I do not have any other of the symptons you listed. What other possible digestive tract diseases could it possibly be and what tests are their for those deseases? Thank you once again. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
CEA can get elevated due to large intestine polyps, inflammatory bowels disease, infection of the digestive tract, pancreas inflammation, liver cirrhosis. Pancreas cancer, stomach cancer, lungs cancer, breast cancer can also cause CEA elevation.
For inflammatory bowels disease and large intestine polyps diagnostics, colonoscopy should be done. Pancreas inflammation and liver cirrhosis can be diagnosed with liver tests, pancreas tests and abdominal ultrasound. Pancreas cancer and lungs cancer can be diagnosed with CT.
But like I have said before, your CEA level does not say anything.