Non smoker, no family history on BP and normal Cholesterol. Want to no my heart attack risk?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi I want to no my heart attack risk
I'm a 41 year old male non smoker no family history on cholesterol 5.1 hdl 1.8 ldl 3 trig 0.9

I had an angiogram 5 years ago wich was all clear

Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
Respected Sir
1. Before I can calculate the future risk of heart attack, please tell me your usual blood pressure on medication and if you are a diabetic? These two inputs are important to calculated the risk.
2. The scores are applicable to a population. They are not applicable to individuals precisely. I mean whatever risk is calculated by scoring system it only tells that in 100 patients with similar profile the event will take place in "X" number of patients in next 10 years. You may or may not be in the X, despite a similar risk profile. I hope you understand this limitation of calculating risk.
Waiting for your reply.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Non smoker, no family history on BP and normal Cholesterol. Want to no my heart attack risk? 5 minutes later
No diabetes blood pressure last reading 127/86

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
The risk score for your profile is ~1%. That is, out of 100 people with a profile similar to yours, 1 subject will have heart attack in next 10 years. This is based on a calculator developed by National heart, lung and blood institute (NIH) of XXXXXXX
According to the National vascular disease prevention alliance (NVDPA) of Australia, for a profile similar to yours, the risk of stroke, heart attack and vascular disease in next 5 years is ~1% (low risk).
Best ways to prevent future heart attack are
a. Never smoke.
b. Keep an optimal weight (body mass index < 25).
c. Regular physical exercise under supervision.
d. Good control of high blood pressure & diabetes.
e. Avoid psycho-social stress.
f. Avoid eating saturated and trans-fat. Keep your LDL cholesterol within limits.
Hope this answers your query.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely

Follow-up: Non smoker, no family history on BP and normal Cholesterol. Want to no my heart attack risk? 13 minutes later
In my case how long would it take for arteries to block up
My cholesterol ratios have always been in the optimal range and I had an angio gram that was all clear 5 years ago

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Respected sir
There is no answer to it. Neither it is so that your arteries will surely block one day, nor all heart attacks occur on blocked arteries. More than half of heart attack occurs on obstructions which are less than 60%. Hence, neither it is required to know the status of blockage in your arteries every now and then, nor it has any clinical relevance.
Have a stress free happy life.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder