Non-productive cough, abdominal burning, taking steroids. Now throat burning

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had a terrible cough non productive for 5 weeks, but also a burning in my lower right abdomen , I have been on 2 sets of steroids to stop the coughing and was just starting to feel better but both came back the burning with the cough. I do know the burning is not from coughing
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A non productive cough for 5 weeks that improved on taking steroids could be due to-
1. Allergic bronchitis.
2. Asthma or related problem.
3. Acid peptic disease.
The best thing for you to do is, consult a chest disease specialist (Pulmonologist) and get yourself examined. He may advise pulmonary function test, this test will determine the capacity of lungs and can provide very vital information.

Apart from this you also need to undergo allergic testing for common allergens, which can be done via blood test. This kind of tests check sensitivity to various common allergens which could be responsible. If the allergen is found out, the things become easier to treat.

Please avoid strong smell, smoke, perfume, pets etc, which are common agents which can lead to this kind of cough. Wash the pillows covers and bed sheet frequently. This will definitely help.
Use a Humidifier at home. Warm, moist air helps relieve coughs and loosens mucus in your airways. Drink plenty of water.
The pain in the right lower abdomen needs to be evaluated with the help of an ultrasound scan. Usually the pain due to inflammatory bowel disease subsides on talking treatment with steroids.
Meanwhile for cough, taking lozenges and steroid inhalers might be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.