Non-itchy white flakes on the scalp. Not responding to dandruff shampoos and oils. Cure?

As soon as I moved to this town, my scalp became fully covered with millions of white flakes. Never had this when I lived in the previous place, but had the same problem during childhood when I lived in Russia. It never itches, it's not red, it's not bothering me, it covers the entire scalp evenly. It's just FULL of millions of flakes which are very hard to wash off. When I try to scratch them off my head in the shower, my scalp starts to bleed. If I don't scratch them off, they never get removed. No dandruff shampoos / home remedies / oils work. Also, it seems to me like I get them during the winter, in the cold season. What's wrong and how to fix it?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 44 minutes later

Thank you for the query and also for sending the picture, I have seen it.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have white flakes on your eyebrows too?
2.) Do you have similar complaints anywhere else on your Body?
3.) Do you have stress?

Your History most probably suggests you have Seborrheic Dermatitis, which is a common skin disorder that mainly affects your scalp, causing scaly, itchy, red skin and severe dandruff which cannot be controlled with anti dandruff shampoos.

There is a strong possibility of scalp Psoriasis also in you. Kindly get yourself examined by a Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and confirm it, and do a skin biopsy if necessary to rule out other causes with similar symptoms.

Once confirmed, you will treated accordingly.

In addition to this, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Avoid harsh soaps, be sure to rinse soap completely off your body and scalp.

2.) Wear smooth cotton clothing. This will help keep air circulating around your skin and avoid irritation.

4.) Avoid scratching as much as possible.

5.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.

6.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.