Non-healing pimple, applied salt water. Can benzoyl peroxide be used?

I have a pimple near my cheek that won't go away. It's been approximately 8-10 weeks and still hasn't healed. I have never popped or squeezed it. A couple of times the shower spray hit it and it became purplish. I actually saw my doctor several weeks ago and he said to get a pint of hot water and mix a teaspoon of salt in it and press it against the pimple and it would go away eventually. It hasn't worked. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on how to promote healing. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

Tell me, if the lesion is still raised or is it just a red scar.

If it is flat and you cannot feel it as a raided lesion then, it is only a scar which will fade away with time.

If you can feel it, then it is still active.

It will be helpful if you can provide me with a picture of the lesion which you can attach on the space provided on the right side of the query page.

I will be able to give you a better advice then.

Follow-up: Non-healing pimple, applied salt water. Can benzoyl peroxide be used? 20 hours later
The lesion is raised somwhat.

Here is a link to a picture (just scroll down a little)

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 13 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

Thanks for the picture. The lesion is still active.

Apply a mild steroid cream once daily for a week.

It will help in reducing the inflammation. Then apply adapelene gel daily night for 2 weeks or so.

I strongly recoomend you to see a dermatologist personally before starting the treatment.

wishing you good health.
Follow-up: Non-healing pimple, applied salt water. Can benzoyl peroxide be used? 26 hours later
Thank you for your comments. One more thing - it might be a little while for I can get appointment. Would it be okay to continue to use my benzoyl peroxide on the pimple or should I stop? Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 minutes later
Hello again,

You may as well continue using Benzoyl peroxide. It should help in healing in the meantime.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.