Non-diabetic and noticed BP reading of 145/95. Should I be worried?

I am 36 years old. I have been non-diabetic and regularly check my BP.
In fact till last week my readings were 120/80. Only last year the highest I saw was 130/90
But since yesterday its been around 145/95 - is there cause to worry - does it require medication?
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I appreciate your efforts in maintaining a healthy blood pressure. Frequent recordings help us to identify hypertension early and prevent unwanted complications.

Now, your blood pressure of 145/95 is a borderline high recording. However it might not be concerning yet. Such a spike may be caused by anxiety, exertion, stress, coffee, tea intake, cigarette smoking and other physical factors. Therefore just one high Blood pressure recording does not indicate that you have hypertension. Only when you get three such high recordings of blood pressure on three different occasions, you will need to get this addressed by your doctor.
Next time before recording make sure that you don't take tea, coffee, or smoking cigarette 30 minutes prior to blood pressure recording and rest for half an hour before recording blood pressure.

Few things which you can do to prevent high blood pressure are:

1. Reduce weight if you are overweight. Exercise regularly. Regular physical activity of just 30 minutes per day can reduce your blood pressure by 4-8 mmHg.

2. Eat a healthy diet - Eating a diet that is XXXXXXX in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and reduced intake of saturated fat can lower your blood pressure by up to 14 mm Hg. Read food labels when you shop and stick to your healthy-eating plan when you're dining out. Even a small reduction in the sodium (salt) in your diet can reduce blood pressure by 2 to 8 mm Hg.

3. Limit intake of alcohol if you are drinking.

4. Avoid tobacco products and second-hand smoke.

5. Reduce intake of tea, coffee.

6. Reduce your stress - Stress or anxiety can temporarily increase blood pressure.

7. Regularly follow-up with your doctor to check your blood pressure.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further questions I will be happy to help you.

Wish you good health...