Noise in ear when have body pain. Have fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism. Taking Levothyroxine. What is it?

Oncologist, Surgical
Whenever I have a certain kind of pain anywhere in my body (not in my ears) I get this strange pulse-like rumbling noise in my ear. When the pain increases, the noise in my ear increases. When I'm not in pain, there is no noise. I am a 44 year old female in generally good health. My only health issues are fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism (I'm on 88mcg of levothyroxine daily). What causes this noise in my ears? It isn't tinnitus - I've had that before. This is only related to body pain.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 47 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I can see that you are getting bothered by this ringing sensation in your ear and it is affecting your daily activities as well. As you rightly mentioned, it can be tinnitus, which can occur at different times for different people and for you it might be associated with pain.
Another cause is fibromyalgia, which is known to be associated with neurological symptoms as well and in your case it is manifesting as tinnitus (ringing in the ear).
Your thyroid problem has got no connection with this problem.
My advise to you would be to visit an ENT specialist and have your symptoms evaluated. Also to visit your physician and have your medicines for fibromyalgia reviewed.
Hope you get well soon.