Noise from stomach. Not cured by perriet. How to get rid of this?

Dec 2012

hi I have a noise that is some were in my stomach it feels like gas rolling around it is loud when sit.if I get up and move around it soon as I sit it starts again.I take perriet that does not help.what else can I take to stop this.I am in good health other wise.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 33 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I know it must be worrisome to have noise in your stomach. This is medically termed borborygmus which is is a rumbling or gurgling noise that occurs from the movements of fluid and gas in the intestines. This is usually normal if it occurs mildly but persistence or severity could signify an underlying diseases condition.
- Most at times it occurs as a result of indigestion or incomplete digestion of carbohydrate-containing foods, including milk and other dairy products (lactose intolerance or the use of α-glucosidase inhibitors by diabetics), gluten (protein in wheat, barley, and rye) (celiac disease), fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, and high-fiber whole grains.
- Presence of microbes producing excessive gas.
- Hunger can also cause this
- Air swallowing can also cause this
- Irritable bowel syndrome

How to do away with the gas or stop it requires both general and medical measures to control.
- First identify the food( by yourself that seem to increase gas) then either reduce or stop completely
- Take prebiotics and probiotics to enhance digestion
- drink much water
- Avoid sugary drinks that will promote bacteria growth hence more gas
- You can take sodium bicarbonate salts (dissolved in glass of water)
- You can take semiticone

If after this measures you still feeling awkward just visit a gastroenterologist for proper review and treatment.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah