Noise from ear during blowing nose, feel pressure and pain in ear while coughing or burping. Swelling and pain in ear. Worried.

ENT Specialist
Question
I am currently sick with what should just be a common cold. I went to blow my nose about 5 hours ago and felt a very loud squeeking sound come from my ear, now anytime i burp, sometimes when i cough i feel pressure and pain in my ear(like a more painful ear pop that would be experienced on an airplane). I also feel a constant swelling/pain in my ear even when i dont. I want to know what is going on and if there is anything to worry about/do.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Hi.

Thanks for posting the query.

Do not worry, ear block during common cold is quite normal; this is because of the blockage of Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

During an attack of cold, there is inflammation in the nasal cavity because of which there is swelling around the Eustachian tube. Due to blockage of this tube, there is negative pressure created in the middle ear giving rise to ear block with or without earache.

The sudden popping in the ear was due to opening of the blocked tube. The pain and the pressure inside the ear following blowing of the nose are due to the inflammation of the nasal end of the Eustachian tube. Also, there are chances of perforation in the ear drum which can be confirmed only after examining the ear.

I would suggest you to consult an ENT specialist for a thorough check-up and further management accordingly. Till then do steam inhalation, drink plenty of warm water and use saline nasal drops 3 - 4 times/day.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Noise from ear during blowing nose, feel pressure and pain in ear while coughing or burping. Swelling and pain in ear. Worried. 2 hours later
Do you know about how long this takes to fix itself? When i woke up today i can kind of here a faint buzzing sound.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Thank you for writing back.

The block will be relieved once the common cold subsides, but if there is a perforation of the ear drum then it will take couple of weeks following reduction of the common cold.

Please continue doing steam inhalation, consume plenty of warm water and instillation of saline nasal drops. All these home remedies can reduce your symptoms. Apart from all these things consult an apt ENT specialist for a thorough evaluation.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon