Nodules, lumps inside vagina, no discharge. No medical history. Causes and possible prognosis?

Good Morning! I am writing for my mother, who is 79 years old and just discovered a "nodule" or a "lump" on the inside of her vagina. It does not cause her pain other than when she wipes after going to the bathroom. She is visiting me in XXXXXXX from California, and if you could offer some advice or possible prognosis in the interim -- until she returns home -- that would be great. It is not secreting any type of liquid. My mother is 5'6", 79 years old and approximately 120 pounds. She has a clean medical history. Thanks so much!
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 minutes later

First of all, I would like to clarify that the lump should not pose any problem as far as travelling from California to XXXXXXX

The lump could be anything from just a mucosal prolapse to a benign cyst or a lipoma.

Any vaginal lump needs a physical examination and sometimes, a fine needle aspiration cytology or a biopsy to microscopically see what tissue it is.

I suggest the following things for time being:
Watch for increase in size of the lump.
Change in color or texture of the lump.
Lump turning painful.
Lump secreting blood or it emitting foul odor.

Keep the genital area clean and dry.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.