Nodule on rib cage and neck, no pain, enlarging, lost weight. CBC normal. Family history of breast cancer metastasis

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently noticed I have a nodule on my right lower lateral rib cage(only painful when pushing on it) it is firm,about the size of a jacks ball. I have lifted more than usual lately and I also have a firm nodule on back of right neck, near base of skull (previously had a enlarged lymph node near there removed several years ago) 1.5-2 cm that seems to have enlarged slightly over past few months, no pain with it . I have also lost 60 lbs over the last year without trying. I had a CBC about 6 months ago and it came out normal. I have symptoms of fatique, but also have a hectic lifestyle. My mother and grandmother both died in their 50s and 60s secondary to breast ca metastasis. I am an OT and understand most medical terminology.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A small nodule on the rib cage could be a soft tissue swelling due to a lipoma, sebaceous cyst or fibroma. Lifting heavy weight is not likely to be associated with appearance of nodules.
Enlarged nodule on the back of the neck could be an enlarged lymph node. Since you have lost considerable weight during last one year, the nodules should be investigated. You need to get an FNAC of the nodules done to find out the nature of the nodules.
Having a normal CBC 6 months ago does not rule out all pathologies related to unexplained nodules.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.