Nodule in adam's apple,sore,allergies

ENT Specialist
I have a nodule above the Adam's XXXXXXX that is sore to the touch. I just noticed it last evening. I also have some throat drainage and allergies and possible muscular soreness. Yet, the nodule, which is movable slightly and about the size of a bean concerns me
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Dont worry for this condition, the nodule is an enlarged lymphnode. The function of lymphnodes is to engulf the infecting organisms, and limit the spread of infection, and in turn it increases in size and becomes painful.

In your case the pretracheal lymphnode is enlarged and tender, because you might be suffering from throat infection.

You have history of PND, and you are allergic. Your history points towards the diagnosis of Allergic Rhinosinusitis.

What you will have to do now---
1- Avoid cold diet.
2- Avoid dust.
3- Get a CT scan PNS done(after consulting an ENT surgeon).
4- Need to take a course of Antibiotics and can get it prescribed by your doctor.
5- Take an antiallergic, decongestant oral drug.

The swelling will resolve in a weeks time, it is a benign condition. Don't worry for this condition.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Nodule in adam's apple,sore,allergies 1 hour later
What is the purpose of the CT scan and PNS? Otherwise, than you for your reassuring and quick response.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 9 hours later

Thanks again,

CT scan PNS has nothing to do with your swelling in anterior neck.
I advised this in view of history of post nasal discharge, which may be an indication of 'rhinosinusits'.

CT scan PNS will give the extent of involvement of your sinuses. You could consult an ENT specialist and get this test done under his guidance if appropriated.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health