Nodes in buttocks, itchy, acne on shoulder and buttocks

skin growth right above buttocks
Hi, I'm a 25 year old male. I have a nodular growth on my lower back near my buttocks.
It is not painful and I haven't noticed any rapid growth. It almost appears sac-like in
that it will feel more firm sometimes(not to firm) and other times it will feel more
deflated or has more give to it. It is on upper layer of skin. I don't XXXXXXX or get any over
exposure to the sun, besides that area is usually always covered (I'm never outside without a shirt and pants/shorts).
I do have acne including some body acne on shoulders and buttocks. Once again it is not painful I have gotten a pimple on or near it and it makes it somewhat discomforting. There has also been some
itching around the area but that is rare. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 42 minutes later
I understand your concern. A nodular growth in buttock area can be a nodular acne, a lipoma( if the swelling is soft), sebaceous cyst amongst others.
As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, please answer the following questions:
a.     What is the size of the lesion?
b.     Do you have a similar swelling anywhere else on the body?
c.     How long has the nodule been present?
d.     Has the nodule been increasing or decreasing in size? Or has it remained the same?
e.     Is it associated with any other symptoms?

The nodule would need to be palpated and examined before coming to a conclusion.
Going by your history ( that you have acne lesions at other places), it might be an acne as the sac gets infected at times or secretions collect into it (which causes it to swell) only to decrease in size once it settles down but this is a chronic process.
I would recommend you to visit a dermatologist in your area to have it examined in person.
Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Nodes in buttocks, itchy, acne on shoulder and buttocks 3 days later
Thanks for the quick reply, to answer your questions:

a. Not sure the size maybe the tip of my pinky finger(I have thin fingers)
b. no similar swelling anywhere
c. about a year maybe longer
d. It has remained the same size as far as I can tell. If
it has increased it hasn't been noticeable
e. no other symptoms
f. have never noticed any discharge of any kind

Also it is flesh colored
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 24 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The information that you have provided suggests that the swelling you have is a lipoma or simple old cyst. A lipoma is a benign tumor composed of fat cells. It is a harmless condition and is usually not treated unless it is cosmetically disfiguring for the person. A cyst refers to a sac like structure lined by a simple layer of epithelium ( a type of tissue). These are also harmless.
A confirmation of the above diagnosis requires an examination by a physician who may perform an investigation like a fine needle aspiration cytology or a biopsy.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any more queries that you might have.

Dr.Rohit Batra