No yolk sac or fetal pole seen, trace of fluid around the left ovary. What that all means?

May 2013
Missed miscariage-It was found that there was no yolk sac or fetal pole-moreover a haemorrhagic corpus luteum measuring 17x22x18 with a trace of fluid around the left ovary-what that all means?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

according to your description the possibilities are,
-blighted ovum: in which gestational sac will present without development of fetal pole.
-miscarriage: in which after developing the fetus might have died leading to stoppage of growth and sac remained inside uterus.

after ovulation the follicle is called corpus luteum, during ovulation sometimes minor blood vessels can rupture leading to accumulation of some amount of blood in sac which is called hemorrhagic corpus luteum,
when pregnancy occurs corpus luteum will remain till placenta take over the function of hormone production,
so you are having such hemorrhagic corpus luteum with so and so size.
after ovulation some amount of free fluid can be seen in pelvis.

now you consult your doctor with her advice undergo preferably D&C to remove those products of conception.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.