No wetness seen in vagina during sex or foreplay, had hysterectomy 10 years back. How to increase wetness ?

Question
hello dr. my partner had an hysterectomy about 10 years ago.she has'nt been in a sexual relationship untill we met 18 months ago. during our foreplay she still does'nt get very wet. we're both very keen, but she gets very concerned about the dryness. is there anything you can suggest to help us increase the wetness ? thank yo
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

Vaginal dryness is a classical symptom of menopause. It is caused by a fall off in the female hormones of progesterone and estrogen.

Your partner should give serious consideration to going on HRT treatment. This would make a tremendous difference to her overall quality of life in general and to her sexuality in particular.

Since she has had a hysterectomy she will not require both hormones and can take unopposed progesterone. She will need to see a doctor who does not have a "thing" about HRT or else be prepared for some resistance. It is important that she not allow herself be fobbed off. This is still a controversial though, in my opinion, a perfectly safe treatment option.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.