No weight reduction despite exercise. Abnormal thyroid levels

Question

Recently I have done my Thyroid test and results look abnormal:

T3 is 1.27
T4 is 8.88
TSH is 8.90

Please advise any medication is required.
I have noticed that even I am going to Gym, my weight is not decreasing and it is currently close to 78 kg. My height is 5 feet 6 inches.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. your thyroid reports are suggestive of subclinical hypothyroidism(mild form of hypothyroidism). In subclinical hypothyroidism there are 2 main indications to start treatment-
1. Gland enlargement which is called goitre
2. Positive TPO antibodies
If either of them is present in your case you need be started on thyroxine replacement, which is more often than not lifelong. So you need to consult a nearby doctor to check these.
You may also want to repeat TSH from a different lab because many of the TSH reports are not very accurate- we see this on day today basis.
So check these and get back to me for any other queries with regard to the management.

Follow-up: No weight reduction despite exercise. Abnormal thyroid levels 10 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.
Just to let you know that I already had same report from one more lab.
Do I need to see an Endocrinologist or a Physician?
Can you provide the name of medications?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 25 minutes later
You better see an Endocrinologist.
Medicine is levothyroxine. Thyronorm,Eltroxin, thyroup and thyrox are some of the brand names of levothyroxine.