No signs of pregnancy in uterus. How to confirm my pregnancy?

I am currently pregnant for the 6th time. I only have one child and have had 3 previous miscarriages. I went to my first appoint on 12/19 when I should have been 6wks exactly. urine test showed positive they sent me for an u/s right away. I was told there was no pregnancy showing in my uterus. I went for blood work that afternoon hcg came back at 158. I went back 4 days later and hcg was at 248. I was then told not to have any more blood work right now and wait for another u/s on 1/2. I feel like this is a long time to wait. I wanted a second opinion on if they should be checking my blood more often. Also I have had no bleeding and some minor pains and pressure in my side and back.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Checking the blood will not help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Sometimes it happens that the gestational sac is not seen in the uterine cavity if there is a late conception. The endometrial reaction is seen in the uterus. The rising levels of HCG are suggestive of a pregnancy. It is best to wait till your next appointment to get a repeat HCG test done. more frequent tests will only add to your anxiety. There is no use of getting the blood test done earlier than 48 hours. Take care to do adequate rest meanwhile. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: No signs of pregnancy in uterus. How to confirm my pregnancy? 14 minutes later
I understand that there is no need to check it more then every 48 hrs but they last checked 12/23 and I don't go back for an u/s until 1/2. That's 10 days in between
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usually repeat test is done after 1 week. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. 10 days is a long tie between the repeat tests. You can request for serum HCG evaluation to see the trends. Usually a follow up scan and blood levels are recommended one week after the last scan. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards