No periods from 6 months. Now getting cramps and noticed spotting. Feeling tenderness in breast. Suggest?

Mar 2016

I have not had my period in about 6 months im getting cramps and bleeding/spotting and is also tender breast.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need proper investigation under gynecologist.

Detailed Answer:

First of all, you are near about menopause. In this age group, irregular spotting to heavy bleeding occurs in some women. It may be due to hormonal imbalance, caused by ovarian dysfunction without ovulation.

However, sudden occurrence of menstrual bleeding after stopping of 6 months is not always a normal thing. Here, we need to rule out underlying pathology if any like endometrial hyperplasia, fibroid, polyp, atrophy or even malignancy.

Some investigations like Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan (TVS), FSH level, thyroid profile, blood sugar, pap smear & HPV test etc are quite useful in this context to make a concrete diagnosis. You can consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance and management of the case.

If above test results are within normal range, then it could be physiological and you have to undergo above mentioned tests yearly basis until your period is completely stopped for at least one year.

In the interim, you can take some anti-spasmodic medication like drotaverine with antacid, balanced diet with iron & calcium supplements, drink more water and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen