No periods from 10 months. Have noticed blood while peeing, no pain. What could it be?

I am 49 and haven't had a period in 10 months. For 3 months now I have noticed stringy blood when I pee
Sometimes it is just when I wipe
Have no pain and it goes away sometimes for a couple of days and the comes back
Sometimes I have to put on a panty liner and other times it is only when I pee
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The mild irregular spotting after 10 months of amenorrhea is likely to be due to Post menopausal bleeding. The most common cause is a problem with the endometrial lining of the uterus.

The other causes can be divided into gyneacological and non gynaecological. The most common gynaecological causes would be vaginal atrophy or dryness or problems related to the cervix.
The vaginal dryness would respond to topical estrogen replacement creams and a pap smear would be able to assess the state of the cervix to determine if there are any problems with it.
Lesions of the ovary can also cause this symptom.

In terms of non gynaecological causes, this is not as common but has been documented in the medical literature.
The possible cause is most commonly infiltration of a lesion into the vaginal area from a primary in kidney, appendix or lymphoma . This is a rare scenario but is possible.

This is not meant to alarm, if it has I apologize. You should consider visiting your doctor for an assessment which may include comprehensive imaging and blood investigations (full blood count, ESR (checks for inflammation), kidney blood tests such as creatinine, CEA, hormonal profile, ultrasound scan, etc.)

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: No periods from 10 months. Have noticed blood while peeing, no pain. What could it be? 4 minutes later
In may I had my yearly physical and my blood work was fine except a trace of blood in my urinalysis that the doctor said was not unusual for women my age
I have had hot flashes and have to go to the bathroom alot
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
At 49 you are menopausal . Hot flashes are a part of the menopause process which may take upto a year . Nothing tow worry about that. However, there may be several reasons for the blood in the urine . Commonest cause is contamination . Other causes include infection, renal stones etc . If you are also having frequent urination then info tion is likely this. I suggest that you have a urine culture done . If anyone infection shows up then you may need antibiotics . Drink plenty of water and maintain hygiene. Also if you have problems with incontinence or can't hold your urine for long inform your doctor . These are common problems faced at your age .but tractable .
Follow-up: No periods from 10 months. Have noticed blood while peeing, no pain. What could it be? 7 hours later
when I drink a lot of water and no alcohol or sodas I don't seem to have the blood as much or at all. could that be the problem? I don't have any symptons like pain when I urinate, etc.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Even if there is no pain or other symptoms you need to get yourself properly investigated to find the cause of the red urine. A routine urine examination will help.
Also, the red coloration of the urine may be related to the medicines or food additives that you might be having. But only a urine test will help in differentiating.
Hope this helps.
Follow-up: No periods from 10 months. Have noticed blood while peeing, no pain. What could it be? 3 hours later
thank you. so you can have an infection on and off for months and not have pain or other symptons other than stringy blood things or pink on the paper when you wipe? I am going Tuesday to the obgyn and will ask about this.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Although it is rare not to have any symptoms of infection for so long, but other causes like renal calculi or any mass also needs to be ruled out.
It is best to consult your gynecologist for the investigations.