No periods for two months, on birth control pills, missed a pill. What is the problem?

I'm on the birth control pill and this is the 2nd month in a row I havent gotten my period during the off pill week. The last time I had sex was in XXXXXXX I got my period in July, and in August I missed a pill. What could be wrong?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later

If you did not have any sex after XXXXXXX and you had normal periods in july after that then pregnancy is not a consideration here.

Absence of bleeding in pill free week is commonly seen with combination pills. Missing a single pill during the cycle does decrease its contraceptive effect. If there is no history of unprotected sex during this time then there is nothing to worry.

You can continue taking the pills after ruling out the pregnancy by taking a urine for pregnancy home card test. Usually the periods return normally after the pills are stopped.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: No periods for two months, on birth control pills, missed a pill. What is the problem? 10 hours later
I'm aware about the absence of bleeding while missing a pill, which is why I didn't have my period in August. However, my questions is what could be the reason I don't have it this month? I took all regular pills, etc. Stress/bad eating habits can't be an issue here either.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

If you do not get periods for three months consecutively then we need to investigate you for secondary causes of amenorrhea like thyroid disturbance, polycystic ovaries, hyperprolactinemia, etc.

A few blood test to analyse hormone levels and ultrasound examination are entailed. I suggest you to consult your gynecologist and get the necessary tests done.

Hope this helps.