No periods for three months, not pregnant. Causes?

I haven't had a period in almost three months and I'm not pregnant. What could be wrong?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 57 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     25 year old female
•     Complaints of: absent menstrual cycle (amenorrhoea) for 3 month without pregnancy

The most common cause of amenorrhoea in your age group is pregnancy. If pregnancy has been ruled absolutely then following condition need to be considered as the cause in your case (in order of preference):
•     Environment: Sudden change in the environment as in change of residence or in occupation can cause amenorrhoea. Stress during examination can also cause loss of menses.
•     Severe exercise: as in long distance running.
•     Many medicines like: hormonal preparation, risperidon and several other medicines.
•     Hormonal imbalance due to disease of pituitary, thyroid or ovary
•     Diabetes mellitus, especially if the disease starts in childhood.
•     Chronic diseases: Most chronic diseases can cause amenorrhoea. Of these, tuberculosis is the most important as the tubercular toxins appear to have a special affinity for the ovary and the uterine endometrium.
•     Nutritional Causes: Severe starvation as seen in malabsorption syndromes can cause loss of menses. On the other hand, severe obesity due to overeating or any other cause can also cause amenorrhoea.

A detailed examination and relevant tests including blood tests, ultrasound scans, etc., are needed to rule out the aforementioned causes.
I encourage you to consult your gynecologist who after careful examination can stream line the test to diagnose the cause.

I hope this answer your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: No periods for three months, not pregnant. Causes? 5 hours later
I'm not stressed, I eat three meals a day. Me and my husband are trying to have a baby, but I can't start my period to see when I ovulate. It's really bothering me not k owing what's going on. The doctors where I live really don't care

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back. I understand your concern.

If there is no stress, then other causes as mentioned in previous answer need to be considered.

To rule out other causes, examination by physician, blood investigation and imaging study are required. If your physician is not able to help you, then you can request them to refer you to higher centers.