No periods for an year. Started taking Clomid. Proper medication?

I haven't had a period for over a year (except the provera bleeds every 3 months). I just began taking Clomid. When should I ovulate (hopefully)? And, was it ok to start the Clomid without having a period (since I don't get them)?
Posted Fri, 18 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Clomid is taken to induce ovulation and is started from day 2 of your period. Since you are not having any regular periods due to polycystic ovaries, a complete hormonal profile needs to be evaluated before starting on clomid to know your chances of ovulation.
Without having any regular periods, the chances of having an ovulation are low. You need to regularize your periods with the help of medicines before starting taking any ovulation inducing drugs.
Now that you have already started taking clomid, you can go for ovulation studies starting from 4 days after you stop taking clomid.
Consider visiting a Gynaecologist for evaluation so that she can guide you after evaluation whether this medication is required or not.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.