No periods for a long time, overweight. Cause?

Hi I am 27 years old I am overweight I haven't had a period since I was 16 years old is that normal
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

It is not normal to have absent menses for so long. What you are having is secondary amenorrhea. Causes of secondary amenorrhea include stress and anxiety, malnutrition, depression, overexercising, sudden weight loss or gain (obesity),thyroid disorders and hormonal imbalance due to polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS).Sometimes tumors of the ovaries and brain may also cause absence of menstruation. All these causes need to be ruled out by the following mentioned investigations.

To rule out secondary amenorrhea (absence of menstruation), Blood tests may be ordered to examine the levels of ovarian, pituitary, and thyroid hormones. Imaging studies, such as ultrasound and CT or MRI scanning may also be needed.

You should get these possibilities evaluated from a gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.