No periods even after taking Mifepristone. Has it affected fetus? Does Misoprostol contain both medications?

I took Mifoprestone for 2 days and still not get my period.My doctor set that it simply did not work and I can keep pregnancy or have abortion.Is it possible that it will not affect a fetus?I ask for misoprostol but he set that tablets contained both medication.I don't trust him.What do I do?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later
Mifepristone and misoprostol are never combined in a single tablet. In the abortion kit there is one tablet of mifepristone and four tablets of misoprostal.
Mifepristone is used along with Misoprostol for complete abortion up to 49 days of pregnancy. This drug is to be taken under Medical Supervision as it can cause serious effects as nausea,vomitting,fever,pain and sometimes incomplete abortion can also occur causing the remnants to remain.
Usually the bleeding starts after taking misoprostol. In some cases these tablets do not work and do not cause bleeding if the pregnancy is of more than 7 weeks. In such a case it is best to get an abortion done as these medicines can produce fetal malformations.
You can get these prescribed from another gynecologist if you feel that pharmacist has given you a wrong medication.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: No periods even after taking Mifepristone. Has it affected fetus? Does Misoprostol contain both medications? 1 hour later
Is it possible that my fetus is still alive or it is just still inside me?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

If there is no bleeding or passage of pieces seen by you then the fetus is inside you.

You can know whether it is viable or not only after an ultrasound scan.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.