No periods after taking ipill. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi Doctor,
I took ipill on 6th March,My periods date was 25 March.But till now I have not got it,till now.
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The delay in your period may be due to:

1.Intake of -ipill may lead to delay or disturbance in the menstrual cycle by
interfering with the hormones.

2. The delay may be due to your irregular periods.

But the chance of getting pregnancy to be ruled out by doing a rapid pregnancy test by using the early morning urine sample.

Therefore I advise you to go for a pregnancy test by using card tests like Velocit or Preg test (as per the instructions) and if it is positive, consult the Gynecologist as early as possible.

And I advise you to get investigated for your irregular periods even if the pregnancy test is negative.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: No periods after taking ipill. Should I be concerned? 7 minutes later
Is velocit test 100% accurate?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for getting back.

Velocit is a home screening test to detect pregnancy.

And it is almost 99 percent accurate.

Velocit works by detecting the pregnancy hormone (hCG) in a urine sample.

hCG or Human Chorionic Gonadotropin is a hormone that appears in the urine when a woman is pregnant approximately 20 days after her last menstrual period.

This pregnancy hormone level then rises rapidly reaching a peak level by 8-12 weeks of gestation.

As it is a screening test, the positive result should be confirmed by doing further investigations like ultrasound after consulting the doctor.

Regards.