No period after mirena Iud insertion. Had yeast infection and started spotting. Worrisome

I have a Mirena Iud. Have not had a period in along time with it. I had a yeast infection a month ago. Now have spotting when I wipe when I go to the bathroom and a little clots in urine. Could this be my period
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 20 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

In most cases when the Mirena IUD has been in place for a significant period of time, women do not get a period. On the other hand, it is also not uncommon to occasionally have a small amount of spotting.

I do not believe that the yeast infection is related to the current bleeding. Also, if there is any concern about blood in the urine (versus from the vagina) then it would be wise to get checked out for a bladder infection.

In all cases when a patient calls with some kind of bleeding that is not normal for her AND who has an IUD in place, I have them come in to the clinic to visualize the strings, make sure that they do not need an ultrasound AND to check a pregnancy test

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions!
Follow-up: No period after mirena Iud insertion. Had yeast infection and started spotting. Worrisome 5 minutes later
I had my strings checked when I was there a month ago. I have been dieting I thought maybe that would cause it. But it kinda feels like a period but it is mostly when I wipe. I never had problems before husband always worries about cancer but never have had a bad pap. Could it be a pelvic infection. I have had this iud for 3 1/2 years
The blood is actually coming from the vaginia but it is visible in the urine if that makes sense
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 24 minutes later
Assuming that you have never had an abnormal pap smear, and assuming that you have been in a monomagous relationship for the last 3 1/2 years, then the chance of a cervical infection is extemely small, if not impossible.

While patients can have irregular cycles who are dieting or are underweight, I believe that this part of the story is unrelated to the current issue.

If it feels like a period, then it likely is a small amount of bleeding related to your cycle. If it went away, but then occurred a second time, I would bring it back to your doctor's attention.

Good luck!