No hair growth on face and chest. What is the solution other than hair implant?

Hi, I am in my mid-thirties and am unable to grow facial hair or hair on my chest. While it isn't medically serious, it is quite embarrassing. Is there a solution other than hair implants?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Undergo tests to diagnose exact cause Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Poor hair growth can be due to either, a chronic thyroid disorder; abnormalities of hair follicles; or, a hormonal imbalance (low male hormone with or without elevated levels of female hormones). If there are associated feminizing features or atrophy of testes, a genetic condition (chromosomal abnormalities) should be evaluated for. You should undergo thorough evaluation including blood hormonal study, tests for thyroid; functional status of other hormone-producing glands; analysis of hair follicles and,- if indications of a possible genetic aberration are there- karyotyping study should be a logical course of action. Tests will reveal the exact cause of your problem. If the diagnosed disease is curable, appropriate treatment will lead to normal hair growth. It would therefore be an exercise in futility, if hair-growth promoting drugs/lotions are used without reaching to a definite diagnosis. I would therefore discourage you from using any over-the- counter drug. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal