No desire to have sex after having a baby. What causes the sex drive to lower?

what casues your sex drive to be low?I had a child in december 2010 and every since then its like i have no desire at all to do anything I am still very attracted husband.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 17 hours later
Thanks for the query in WWW.WWWW.WW
Postpartum Sex is not desired by many women because of pain, or fear of pain, during intercourse as well as anxiety regarding change in body shape body shape after delivery. New mothers are stressed, making the desire for sex and love-making uncomfortable.Their area of focus is directed towards the child rather than husband. The hormone estradiol responsible for lubrication is lowered due to breastfeeding, which decreases sexual drive. Also, the prolactin hormone suppresses sexual desire and lowers testosterone.
The other factors which can cause decrease in libido for woman are
Thyroid hormone imbalance. Medicines for hypertension, depression etc.

The solution is to check the hormonal status and treatment according to the results and regaining figure and confidence and planning and spending more romantic situations with your husbend.

Hope I gave a outline about your decrease in sexual desire.

Consultant in Reproductive & Sexual Medicine
Republic of India

Follow-up: No desire to have sex after having a baby. What causes the sex drive to lower? 19 hours later
before I got pregnant I was in a birth control that had a higher dose of hormones I have tried all the other ones besides that one and i'm just not happy do u think that could help

I have also had the night sweats since i got pregnant. still hsve them what causes that
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 21 hours later
Night sweats at your age may be due to
1. Hypoglycaemia (Decrease in blood glucose level )
2. Hyperthyroidism (Increased thyroid hormones)

These can be assessed by investigation.
Hyperthyroidism can also cause decrease in desire.

I am still available for follow up if you have more concerns

Follow-up: No desire to have sex after having a baby. What causes the sex drive to lower? 14 hours later
would my night sweats be due to low hormone levels as low sex drive. I have changed birth controls 4 times since by deleviery in dec.2010
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 16 hours later
Hi there,

Sorry for a little late reply.

Night sweats may be due to altered Thyroid hormones or due to decreased glucose content in your body. Birth control pills for a short term as such shall not cause these problems. It is better to visit a physician to do a general examination to find out the cause of night sweating.

Follow-up: No desire to have sex after having a baby. What causes the sex drive to lower? 1 hour later
what are other signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and hyperthroidism
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 19 hours later

The symptoms of hyperthyroidism are

1. Weight loss, even when your appetite and diet remain normal or even increase
2. Rapid heartbeat
3. Increased appetite
4. Nervousness, anxiety and irritability
5. Tremor — usually a fine trembling in your hands and fingers
6. Sweating
7. Decreased sexual Desire
8. Changes in menstrual patterns
9. Increased sensitivity to heat.
10. More frequent loose stools
11. An enlarged thyroid gland (Swelling in the neck region)
12. Fatigue, muscle weakness
13. Sleep disturbances

The symptoms of hypoglycaemia are

1. Weakness, trembling or shaking
2. Sweating
3. Light headedness
4. Headache
5. Dizziness
6. Lack of concentration/behaviour change.
7. Irritability
8. Hunger
9. Numbness around the lips and fingers.