No cancer shown in biopsy. Having atypia. Could I ask a doctor?

I had a core biopsy and gotma call no cancer. then got a call later I have atypia. the radiologist said that it was .8mm very tiny. I don't do surgery im hoping that this can just be monitored since radiologist said 90% have no problem. also there are meds tamoxifen or raloxifene. what are your thoughts. I have an appointment to see a surgeon but getting other opinions.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would advice not to take chances and opt removal

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

Atypia MEANS they do not fall under the regular normal cell. It is neither a cancer cell. However this condition shows higher chances of developing cancer in future. Since you are healthy now and most likely to handle removal at current age of 66 than in future age may be around 70 or so, it would be better to plan for surgery now. More over it will be helpful in attaining a piece of mind. I would advice you to make a call for its removal if possible.

Thanks for the query, please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.
Follow-up: No cancer shown in biopsy. Having atypia. Could I ask a doctor? 17 hours later
I don't understand that. Women that have a family member are also at risk. would you opt for them to have a breast removed just to be on the safe side. everything I have read its 50/50. what if this is closely monitored and I take the drugs. or what about vacuum excision. I just don't like being put to sleep. what other options do I have??
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Monitoring the conversion is dilamatic

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Breast cancer incidence is growing in recent days with high rate of undesired complications. I strongly recommend you to get the lump removed. Also at this stage the lump is small and can be excised with a minimal invasive technique.

It would be difficult to monitor such a small lump for cancer conversion. Physical examination would provide no clue into the conversion, only reliable and available test would be Biopsy. It is cumbersome for one to get frequent biopsy to determine the status of the lump.

Since the lump is small, techniques other than scalpel excision can be planned. I suggest you to consult a Gynec oncologist and discuss on the same. He after studying the lump, would be able to plan a suitable and safe procedure for you.

Hope, I answered your query.