No bowel symptoms after lumbar fusion. Could compression be detected on MRI?

Spine Surgeon
Could compression be detected on MRI? Bowel symptoms did not start until after lumbar fusion; I was told it was a possible side effect of the surgery.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
bowel symptoms not related to nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
delay in bowel movements usually happen after spine surgery. Patient may experience constipation up to 1 week after surgery. I give stool softener if problem persist. Its not related to nerve compression in spine. Its related to sluggish bowel movements post surgery.
What was the approach? is it all posterior? did they take any cut on the side of the tummy? fusion from front? In that case i need to know more details about your complaints. Thanks.