No bowel movements for days, gas, urge to go but cannot pass stools. Any possibilities?

Hi There:
No bowel movement for 5 days. When I feel the urge to go, I get lots of gas, nothing else.
Does this suggest any possiblities?
Presently feel great otherwise.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
It seems you are having a diet that is very low in fiber content.
The typical western diets mainly containing nonvegetarian fractions are very poor in fiber so almost whole diet content gets digested and there is no volume for stool.
You are passing gas so your gut is fine.
Just make sure that you take enough rice/wheat products and fruits and salads in diet and also ensure that you take sufficient liquids to make volumes with fibers so to move the bowels regularly.
I hope the advise would be useful to you.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: No bowel movements for days, gas, urge to go but cannot pass stools. Any possibilities? 28 minutes later
Can external hemorrhoids be the cause of constipation? If so, could hemorrhoid removal be something to consider?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 11 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
No, they are not a cause for constipation and would not help if removed.
You should get them removed surgically if they are painful or bleeding excessively.
I hope I have answered your query, if still any doubt please put follow up with exact details.
I would be happy to solve your problem.