No blood pressure in left arm. Worry?

My mothers doctor was unable to get any blood pressure in her left arm, but right arm came out normal. Should I be worried?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query,

The fact that a blood pressure was not able to be taken in one arm does not always reflect an emergency.

You state in your profile that her age is 93. At 93 it is possible that the circulation to the upper and lower extremities may be sometimes limited depending on a number of factors including hydration status, medical history as well as medications.

As long as she does not have symptoms of pain, swelling or temperature changes in the left arm then I would not be concerned at all.

I would recommend that you continue to monitor her for the time being and if anything changes make sure you inform her physician of this.

Thanks again for the query.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative.

If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga