Ninety five year old. Moderately good health. Taking from Memphis to a Pearl Harbor. Is it risky to take him?

I am considering taking my 95 year old father from Memphis to a Pearl Harbor Survivors reunion in Hawaii. While he is in moderately good health, he is on numerous medications and has ambulatory problems. Is it risky to even consider this trip? Thanks
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take opinion from treating doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I appreciate your concern and responsibility towards your father.

Considering the distance of 6710 km (4169 miles), minimum 11 hours journey and your fathers health status (Heart and kidney disease, osteoarthritis- ambulatory problems with lot of medications) and age, I advice you to take one opinion from his doctor who is treating him.

If you can tell me about his current problem (Cardiac, renal and stage of osteoarthritis/ clinical features) I can give give my opinion based on his condition.

Since he has moderately good health and if you accompany him through out the journey then no problem if his doctor agrees for it. You may require certificate of his health status for journey (kindly inquire as rules changes from place to place) Age is not the main criteria now but his health status (cardiac and renal) are the most important factors to be looked for.

Hope this helps you. I wish your father a very happy and good health. Feel free to write back for any queries.