Night sweats, sharp pain in shoulder blade area, started menopause. Cause?

Hi. I'm a 52 year old female, extremely healthy and just starting menopause. In recent weeks, night sweets have started and I've also noticed an increasingly persistent pain in my right shoulder blade area that is sometimes even sharp. It's beginning to distract me at work and wakes me up at night. Any ideas what this might be?

thank you! XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting your question.

My initial reaction is to think that your early menopausal symptoms and your pain around right scapula are probably unconnected.

On the menopausal front, it will be up to you, in consultation with your own doctor, as to whether HRT (shoulder blade, this could be anything from gallbladder disease to a pulled muscle or ligament. If it is worse after fatty food then, that would support the gall bladder disease. But if worse after certain movements then, that would tend to support the latter.

You would definitely need a physical examination to reach to diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.