Night sweats and reddish spots on the chest in hot weather. Reason?

Oncologist, Surgical
Thank you.
I live in Thailand and it's very hot right now, but at night I sleep in an airconditioned room (25C) and experience night sweating from my chest, which is now covered in red spots which are open.
So, I'm presuming nightsweats are not unusual, but I'd like to get these spots cleared up (it's not prickly heat, I think, as this is not a rash and I'm sweating freely (also in the daytime) but I sweat more from my chest than anywhere else (e.g. underarms).
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 25 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem but I am glad that you are seeking medical advise for the same.
The symptoms you are experiencing can be explained by many causes, some which are innocuous but others can signify a serious disease.
The commonest cause is folliculitis or contact dermatitis. This presents as the red follicles which you are noticing and resolves rapidly with local antibiotic cream (mupirocin).
If you are running fever along with these symptoms, then they can be due to tuberculosis. TB will also be associated with weight loss and cough.
These symptoms can also be explained by a fungal infection, which also resolves with local medication.

My advise to you would be to visit a dermatologist and a physician. They will examine you and carry out some tests to reach to a conclusive diagnosis.

Hope you get well soon. Please feel free to ask any other query.