Newborn vomiting blood. Dangerous?

Worried grandad: was with my daughter /son in law and 4 day old baby (m). Baby was just breast feeding and vomited up two 'lumps' of blood. Cried loudly afterwards. D and s-i-l have just gone off to local hospital with baby. Is this possibly serious?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
In a new born baby specially if the baby has been delivered normally , it is possible that baby has swallowed some blood which he has coughed out now. Most likely it does not indicate any health problem. Still it is best to get him examined at the ER to rule out the local causes of bleeding in upper gastrointestinal tract or respiratory tract.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.