Newborn is fed with lactodex. How healthy is this? How to increase breast milk?

Around 13 days back we had a baby weighing 3.25 kg....since mother's milk is insufficient, we are giving the baby around 30-60ml of Lactodex-1 on an usual day. How healthy is this practice? What are the guidelines for using Lactodex-1? Also, what are the remedies to improve mother's milk quantity? Mother is already taking Galact, Leptadine (or Leptaden), and Protein powder. Thanks.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Mothers milk is considered sufficient if the baby sleeps well after each feeds, passes 5 to 6 times urine every day and gains weight approximately 20-25 gm/day.
There is no doubt that mothers milk is the best for her baby. There are many infant milk substitutes available in the market. However, mothers milk contains the right nutrients required in the right amount. Also, it contains antibodies which protects the baby against severe infections. These benefits are not provided by any of the infant milk substitutes available in the market.Hence unless it is absolutely necessary, we don't advise infant milk substitutes.
I would like you to clarify following things:
1. I would like to know on whose advise Lactodex was started?
2. What is the current weight of your baby?
3. Did any doctor tell you that the mothers milk is insufficient or you thought that it was insufficient?

Galact is used to increase milk supply. Nothing else is required.
More the baby sucks, better is the milk supply. So you need to feed atleast once in 3 hours for 15 minutes. This would be sufficient.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have further doubts.
Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Newborn is fed with lactodex. How healthy is this? How to increase breast milk? 1 hour later
When I mentioned that mother's milk is insufficient, I meant that quantity was insufficient: from pumping, only around 15ml of milk is obtained and the baby starts crying within 15 minutes of feeding. Lactodex was used in the hospital where the baby was born. Current weight of the baby should be around 3kg. On 3rd day from birth, baby developed high temperature due to insufficient milk from feeding and was placed in NICU (dehydration fever); in NICU, the baby was given lactodex when ever he cried even after being breast fed.

My main question is: what are the guidelines around using Lactodex given that it can be habit forming on hand, and baby can go severely hungry without it on the other?
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 6 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

Guidelines suggest Lactodex can be given if milk supply is inadequate.
It can be habit forming but nothing can be done about it. Infant formulae are considered as nutritionally complete meals for babies until about six months of age so it is recommended to wait till then to start solid foods.
Gradually introduce home prepared soft food after 6 months.

Hope this helps.
Dr Nilofer